Sunday, March 29, 2009

Funny thing happened to my pound of bamboo.....


I wrote yesterday ALL about how I had wonderfully saved a skanky old brown dyebath and made it a lovely forest green.

Yeah, well.... When I mixed up the original dye, I mixed just water, the dye powder, and a tablespoon of urea, which is important for dye uptake. The stuff then sat for a week. I must suppose that the urea changed or degraded or somehow messed up the dye, because my beautiful forest green, after responding well enough to the first couple of rinsings, largely rinsed out after I had soaked the fiber in the dye fixative. I don't dislike what I got; it's sort of a muted aqua, with various variegations, but definitely it's not what I had. I will remember that dyes mixed with water and urea degrade over time.

Oddly enough, I could readily reproduce this one if it becomes popular. I know exactly what I did! ;->

No comments:

Post a Comment