Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pygora


The Pygora goat is a cross between a pygmy goat and an angora; it's fiber is a cross between cashmere and mohair; lovely buttery softness with a mohair halo. Today's photo is of a 70% pygora laceweight in a coral color. Pygora of any kind is difficult to find and I am fortunate to have found a grower who will sell me yarn at wholesale.

Today I carded up four batts of baby white alpaca and three of gray shetland. These were very different experiences; there is no lanolin in alpaca; it is greaseless and fine, fine, fine like a cloud. The shetland was rich with lanolin (I generally wash with very mild detergents, to remove the other greases and leave the lanolin in). Both were lovely in their way.

I only have four or five dyeing days left! 8-O

2 comments:

  1. A women up the road from me sells pygora goats and they are definitely on my wish list to buy and spin from. Love your yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you! I didn't spin this; I have enough to do just keeping up with the dyeing...

    ReplyDelete