Monday, April 6, 2009

All about the yellow


I belong to a spinning group called the Whorling Spinsters; our meeting is tomorrow. The topic chosen for this month was dyeing with Easter egg dyes.

I don't have any of those, so I hope it will be in the spirit of the thing to have done an experiment with Winton's food colorings.

Winton's is available at Michael's craft stores and, I am sure, other places; it has many more shades than the supermarket stuff and is very intense. I used yellow, orange, and leaf green, and used a generous 1/4 tsp gloop of each color, two of the yellow. I tried it out on some wool I had lying around (maybe 3/4 lb?). It worked beautifully, giving me orange to olive, green, chartreuse, and yellow.

Tomorrow will be very busy. I have to visit dear Detta (http://www.dettasspindle.net/), which is on the other side of town, and in the evening I have the spinner's meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment